If you’re a dog owner, you probably take your pet along with you on car rides. Although your dog may love to travel with you, it can also leave your car upholstery dirty from messy pet fur, mud, dirt, and drool.
To spend less time cleaning your car, protect your car seats by using dog seat covers. These car seat protectors are designed to fit any type of vehicle, including cars, vans, trucks and SUVs. Here are the seat cover styles, along with some basic buying considerations.
Styles of Dog Seat Covers
There are several types of seat covers from which to choose.
- Hammock Covers — Just as its name implies, hammock-style covers are designed like a hammock to let your dog relax as it travels with you. An advantage to a hammock seat cover is that it's considerably safe because it prevents your pet from jumping into the front seat with you.
- Bench Seat Covers — This type of back-seat cover is designed so that it stays in place so that even active dogs can’t move around.
- Bucket Seat Covers — This cover, which is specifically made for a passenger front bucket seat, is considered the best type for dogs who ride in the front passenger seat. Besides keeping a bucket seat clean, it has a waterproof barrier to protect a seat from spills. There are also bucket seat covers for cars have rear bucket seats.
- Cargo Seat Covers — This type of cover is used in the back seat or cargo area of a vehicle. It’s an ideal cover for taking your pet in a minivan or SUV. Because it stays snugly in place, it protects a car seat from getting dirty from slush, mud, snow, hair, or other soils. If your car is used to haul greasy bikes or muddy shoes and boots, this is an excellent cover.
Dog seat covers are made in a wide range of materials, ranging from soft, microfiber suede fabrics to rugged, durable canvases. Most covers have a water repellant coating, which protects car seats from pet accidents or spilled drinks. Vinyl-coated polyester and other fabrics are also waterproof.
Poly-cotton is a popular seat cover fabric because of it has a protective feature, while it’s still as soft as cotton. What’s more, it provides UV protection from harsh sun rays.
Choosing the Correct Cover Size
Consider your dog’s size by using sizing guides so that you can select the right fit for not only your dog but also for your vehicle. If you get a size that is either too small or too large, you can expect messes to occur.
Selecting the correct cover size can also help protect your car seats from your dog scratching, chewing, marking or other kinds of destructive dog behaviors.
Considerations and Warnings
- When deciding on a seat cover for your dog, consider comfort, as well as seat protection.
- Most dog seat covers can be cleaned by throwing them into a washing machine.
- Consider the types of car trips you usually take with your dog, besides the length of the trips. Also, consider if you usually take kids with you. On the other hand, do you mainly have only canine passengers?
- The most popular colors are neutrals, but you can also find covers in colors including neutrals, blacks, grays, and tans. There are also interesting patterns from which to choose, such as paw print designs.
Traveling with your pet doesn’t have to mean spending hours cleaning up your vehicle. When you protect your car seats by using dog seat covers, both you and your furbaby can enjoy everything from routine car errands to long road trips.